The 2017-2018 Season brochures are in the mail. If you haven’t received one by July 12, 2017 and would like one, please contact us at 740-351-3600 or email@example.com
Vern Riffe After Dark is about three weeks away, but you can see some of the art that will be on display if you know where to look.
Thanks to the generosity of local businesses for hosting these works in advance of the show. Wander in and check ’em out.
VRCFA is going to have its third After Dark Event on April 13 giving local artists an opportunity to display, talk about and sell their art.
But before they sell it off, they want to show it off!
We are looking for businesses and organizations who are all about showing some love and pride in the talented people of our community by providing some space to display some art for about three weeks before the After Dark event.
How will it work you ask?
- Artists will submit images and dimensions of the pieces they want to display by March 10.
- Week of March 13 we will send you pictures of the pieces so you can decide whether it will fit in your available space
- Week of March 20 we will deliver the pieces to you. We will take pictures and post them to social media so people will know what to look for when they visit your business.
- April 10-12 we will come back to pick the art up so the artists can sell them on April 13
- What if you love the piece and want to buy it? Well that would be awesome!
How Can You Participate?
Fill out the form below or contact Joe Patti at the Vern Riffe Center 740-351-3621.
Image by Shannon Lykins
Thanks to the interest and response to our last After Dark event, we are putting out a call for entries for our next show on Thursday, April 13, 7-10 pm
Right now we are looking for artists interested in participating in showing and selling their art. We will be accepting applications with work samples until March 10.
The deadline is earlier this year because past participants have had the idea of displaying work in area businesses in advance of the show. If you are interested in having your work displayed publicly in advance of the show, please indicate this on your application. Upon acceptance of work for the After Hours event, a $20 per table fee will be due by April 7
If you know of a business that would like to display work, please have them complete the form on this page or contact Joe Patti at 740-351-3621
How Public Placement Will Work
- Submit your application and pictures of work samples by March 10. Indicate on the application which image represents the work you would like displayed, its dimensions and how it should be displayed. (hung, on a pedestal/table, does it require heavy duty hardware due to its weight.)
- We will provide the submitted information to the business so that they can decide if it is appropriate for their space and clientele.
- In the meantime, we will ask you to bring the work you want displayed to the Vern Riffe Center by March 17. Because we won’t have control over how and where the works are displayed, we encourage people to submit copies, prints or pieces of lower value that you don’t strongly value or have an attachment to.
- Week of March 20, we will distribute works to the participating businesses. After that we will call attention to the placements on social media so people can check them out.
- April 10-12, we will retrieve the works so you can sell them on April 13
SSU alums and friends of VRCFA, C*MAR are teaming up with local artisan and faculty member Wayne Stump to start a “Creative Cult.”
Creative folks in the Portsmouth area looking for a supportive environment to talk about their work, get feedback and encouragement and maybe even collaborators are invited to the Induction ceremony on Tuesday, October 18 from 8-9 pm at Stump Standards Gallery, 725 5th Street, Portsmouth, OH.
Thanks to the interest and response to our last After Dark event, we are putting out a call for entries for our next show on Friday, November 4.
Right now we are looking for artists interested in participating in showing and selling their art. We will be accepting applications with work samples until October 21.
Vern Riffe Center and Shawnee State University Children’s Learning Center are launching a pilot program to provide child care during 10 performances in the 2016-2017 season. if successful, we hope to expand it to other campus events.
Our Child Care page has more information and details about how to make arrangements.
This summer we transitioned from using Ticketmaster to a new ticketing system that will enable us to do a better job of serving our visitors.
One of the features we love is that if you get stuck or have questions while making an order on the Internet, you can call in and we can take over from where you left off to complete your order.
What we think you will like is NO ADDED FEES on your Internet orders for our shows*. The price you see advertised is the price you will pay.
We have to clean up some small formatting issues on the website, but the new system is ready to take your orders. Give the online purchasing experience a try for your favorite shows.
*Renters may choose to add fees instead of including them in the advertised price.
Tickets for the annual Oak Ridge Boys Christmas Concert will go on sale Monday, August 29 at 10:00 am at the Vern Riffe Center’s McKinley Box Office.
The performance is schedule for Thursday, December 1 at 7:30 pm.
Due to the high volume of walk up and phone business we typically receive when the show first goes on sale, we encourage people to continue to try to call throughout the day or purchase tickets online through our website.
We apologize for any difficulty you may have purchasing tickets at that time. Generally the phone and window traffic clears up around noon so you are welcome to call after that point.
Hawaii based Kenny Endo and members of his taiko drumming ensemble followed a public performance with a lecture-demo for local students, giving them an up close experience with the explosive energy of this Japanese drumming style.
Thanks to the Southern Ohio Museum for teaching students about the Hawaiian tradition of lei making and helping them create lei for Kenny and his friends.
You can see photos from past workshops on the Southern Ohio Performing Arts Association webpage – http://sopaa.org/education-outreach/